FOOD & RECIPES
- Cheese and Bread: Good thick cut bread, with a solid cheese. Cheddar is fine but preferably something bulkier.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Dried mango
- Banana + honey/PB sandwhich
I grabbed peanut butter, jelly, and a seedy wheat bread—and some thin-sliced mozzarella, because why not. The resultant sandwich, while admittedly strange, packed in more than 30 grams of protein—the magic number for refueling working muscle, according to a 2009 study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association—and nearly 700 calories.
- Red Lentils + White Rice - 3:1 for lentils, 2:1 for rice. My goto is a half-cup of each, so 2.5 cups of water to the whole mix. I find it comes out less mushy if you do something like 2.3 cups of water (just eyeball it)
- Steel-cut Oats: 3:1 water:oats ratio. Throw oats in boiling, return to boiling, then simmer for 30 minutes. Add some milk (or whatever) after 30 minutes, then let it sit a little longer.
- Chicken/Tofu curry, throw into thermos and bring along as lunch.