2015 In Review
Lot's of turmoil this year, good and bad things. I feel like I'm a better person than I was last year.
- Driver's License + Car (Wooo!)
- Gained ~20 pounds (135 -> 155)
- I'm in the best shape of my life
- Got two bikes stolen, one was recovered. Learned my lesson there.
- Met a lot of new people
- Travelled to New York to see family with just my brother
- New Tattoos
- Hiked quite a bit
- Started doing daily journalling to cope with memory loss. This has improved my hand-writing and memory.
- Wore some stupid shirts to OSBridge.
- Helped build and then camped in a dome in the Alvord Desert. Bonus Video.
- Didn't play street fighter at all
- Had the best fight of my life where this happened.
- Didn't drink for the two months before said fight
- Started rock climbing, made it out to smith rock.
- Passed CHN202
- Camped out in a dome on the river with some friends
- Hosted a Tuesday-night singlespeed-only ride for a while
- Rode around Portland more than any other year. Met a lot of cool people via bikescum groups.
- Sort of learned to cook. I can make some pretty mean chicken breast in the oven now.
- Books for this year, couple of re-reads:
Succeeded (for some definitions of the word)
- Skulledit - Random project in Love2D that I wheedle on every now and then to implement the skullcode hex editor.
- 38-Moths - Split waifu.xyz into a framework in C. Actually pretty cool, reasonably fast and easy to use. Pretty proud of this one, actually.
- Printer Facts API - Uses the 38-Moths framework to serve Printer facts at Webscale speeds.
- Simple Sparsehash - A re-implementation of Google's sparsehash, got me a little internet fame and was a really good learning opportunity.
- Clear Waste of Time - Random, tiny IRC-spawned ideas. Kind of a fun collection of stupid shit.
- Mayo-Workbench - Uses 38-Moths to display information about an OlegDB instance.
Continued (Not dead yet!)
- Lair - Still kicking, some how. Started working on it again. Some people are excited.
- #metaforcefeed - Still chugging along even after the huge data failure. It now handles events and some RSVP-like capabilities.
- shithouse.tv - Still one of my more popular things, had quite a few PR's from my favorite person and a few new features.
- merveilles.io - Still kicking along since 2013, haven't really had to touch it. You can see the one remaining instance here.
- OlegDB - Didn't really touch it this year, a weird segfault in
olt_spoilkind of defeated me.
- waifu.xyz - Defeated after numerous segfaults, hosting costs and random shit. Decided to shelve it for the time being.
- voidcrash - I don't even know. No explicit goal or timeframe, mostly just mythos/world building with a friend of mine.
- zx - Was going to use this as a time tracking utility but stopped caring pretty quickly.
- PrinterFS - Was going to be a distributed file system. Ended up being too complicated.
- PrintlessFS - Was going to use this as FUSE bindings to rethinkdb for waifu. Overwhelmed and under-motivated.
- Thray - Was going to be an exercise with a friend of mine to scrape tumblr. Got distracted and started working on other things. Wrote some C++ that hits the tumble endpoints, though.
- I spent way too much money on cassette tapes
- I haven't created as much as I wanted to
- Hurt some people.
- Didn't work on OlegDB much at all this year.
- Failed CHN203
- waifu.xyz kind of stopped being a thing. Currently in Limbo. I put a lot of effort into it last year. Sucks to see it languishing.
- Didn't leave the country this year
- Didn't write as much code as I wanted to
- Slept too much
Goals from Last Year
- Succeeded: More mandarin.
- Succeeded: More boxing. Get back to it.
- Failed: Travel to mainland china (Shenzhen, Shanghai)
- Succeeded: Driver's License (Yeah right)
- Failed: Travel to Japan
- Succeeded: Drink less
- N/A: Figure out whether freelancing is a good idea or not
- Failed: Read more books
Goals for 2016
- Revive the Lost Kids Ride
- Throw an unsanctioned race or two
- Be able to hold a free handstand for a minute
- Get the hell out of the country
- Continue boxing, rock-climbing
- Race Track
- Read more Books
- Create something that isn't code: Clothing, sculpture, some kind of interactive art piece, sketching/drawing
- Use all of the paint
- Camp in the dome again
- Don't drink at all (Let's try full straight-edge!)
- Journal every day
- Take more pictures, like 2013
- Pass CHN203
- Weight: ~155lbs
- Commits: 1,843 total (oof)
- Longest Commit Streak: 20 Days
- 263 Pages Used across 3.5ish journals