2014 In Review
- Passed Chinese 101, 102, 103 and 201 with flying colors. Helped
start and maintain the PCC Chinese
Club. Met a lot of cool people in chinese class. Good year for
- Spent almost a month in Taiwan, alone. One of my most valuable
- Wrote more C this year than any other time. Ever.
- Wrote some Erlang. Nice language, don’t like the VM.
- Put a ton
of work into OlegDB. Ended up
to build and power the website, which has now infected many of my other
- Attempted to implement a
language, Den. Turns out I hate parsing things.
- Took the Xbox-live syntax from the GRESHUNKEL static generator,
ported it to C and released it as a stand-alone library.
- Had a handful of people break my IRC link aggregators:
- Wrote a handful of C++, got a recruiting email from Google for it.
- Okay year for book reading, I wish I’d read more books. Taiwan was
great for reading.
- NEOTOKYO° was released on steam, was a good revival for the
community. Played a lot this year.
- Didn’t make the ‘10,000 Commits by the end of the year’ goal:
2014-03-06 13:42:12 jnerula Guys if I hit 10,000 commits in a year
2014-03-06 13:42:14 jnerula what happens
2014-03-06 13:43:23 coalbe nothing.
2014-03-06 13:44:11 coalbe muda bro.
2014-03-06 13:46:31 vhost- yeah, muda
2014-03-06 13:47:21 vhost- jnerula: it's on
2014-03-06 13:47:33 vhost- 10,000 commits by december 31st
2014-03-06 13:47:45 vhost- IFF challenge
2014-03-06 13:48:07 vhost- winner gets a linode vps for 6 months?
2014-03-06 13:48:20 vhost- they have to be good commits too
2014-03-06 13:48:27 vhost- not just bullshit or blanks
Succeeded (for some
definitions of the word)
- OlegDB - I don’t care what you
say, best thing of 2014.
- waifu.xyz -
Somehow spent enough time on this to have almost 300 commits. It’s a
webserver, templating language, webm-scraping, OlegDB-testing
megamachine that basically downloads webms from 4chan and does some
basic analysis on them. Hilarious. Works really well for what it is,
still needs some love. I’m really happy with this project.
- GRESHUNKEL -
The static site generator that I will use for the rest of my life.
Hilariously awful, it’s probably the first thing utilizing antagonistic
- BashDB - Mostly a
joke, just to see if I could.
- DBM Source
Code - Not really a sideproject, I just dug up the old v7 DBM code
and put it online because I got tired of wondering what it looked
- IRC-Nick-Graph -
C++ project I spent a couple of weekends on to build a graph of
Usernames -> Aliases from IRC logs. Started after I read the User
-> Role permission graph in the MongoDB sourcecode. Works pretty
well. Don’t really need to touch it again.
- chinesepcc.club -
Website for the Chinese PCC Club. Built with Greshunkel. Works
- gshkl - C port of
the greshunkel templating language.
- lair - My interpreter
for the Den language. Turns out I hate making languages.
- #metaforcefeed -
Originally a generic Reddit-like system to track ideas and test OlegDB.
It’s currently broken because Oleg did something weird to it’s datafiles
and I haven’t reverse engineered it yet.
- Probably my most popular project of 2014. Just puts images on a page
with a background color. Needs some love to support tags and webms.
- mttp - The HTTP
server that powered OlegDB before we switched to Go. It doesn’t compile
right now but I didn’t want to lose the code. May use it again
- Was going to be a reverse-image search engine thing. Ended up getting
mired in the image format bullshit (Do I write my own jpeg parser? What
about PNGs?). I might get back to it someday.
- kyoto-pantry -
Userspace file deduplication. Got mired in the actual implementation of
min-hashing and efficient chunk differentiation. Dunno if I ever want to
finish this one.
- agdyne - Evolved
from the IRC-Nick-Graph project, was going to be a graph database.
Didn’t go far, got fed-up with needing to build a query language.
- Didn’t write much Haskell this year.
- Didn’t box much at all this year. Really regret this one, it was my
favorite thing from 2013.
- Didn’t finish all the side-projects I started. Didn’t finish the
ones from last year.
- Didn’t really work on kyoto.io at all.
- Didn’t read as much as I wanted to.
Goals from Last Year
- Failed: Get a driver’s license
- Success: Get a comfortable grasp on Mandarin
- Failed: Start writing Haskell for someone, for money
- Success: More travelling (Singapore, Murmansk, Tokyo)
- Failed: Keep boxing (work on footwork)
- Failed: Start a business and make some money on the side
- Failed: Place in fpcomplete monthly contest.
Goals for 2015
- More mandarin.
- More boxing. Get back to it.
- Travel to mainland china (Shenzhen, Shanghai)
- Driver’s License (Yeah right)
- Travel to Japan
- Drink less
- Figure out whether freelancing is a good idea or not
- Read more books
- Weight: ~140lb
- Books read: 7
- Commits: 2,376